Stick and String Choice

Bow Fishing discussions
Will
ST Siver Member

Stick and String Choice

Postby Will » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:36 am

Btmannin wrote:Will how do you like that Oneida? For years I've monitored craigskist and just bought old crappy low draw weight compound bows and then mounted the ams reels to them. I've got 5 of them now rigged up and I'm considering buying myself an Oneida and letting my friends shoot all the other ones. Is there a big advantage? Let off used to bug me, but I feel like I've gotten so used to it that I don't even notice it anymore.

I've shot just about everything out there that is made specifically for bowfishing along with many converted rigs from older pawn shop bows, etc... and the Oneida is my favorite. It is the most consistent and stays in tune. It has the best kinetic energy transfer that I've seen. I keep my Oneida around 28 pounds, yet it has enough humph that I can shoot long nose gar that's 8-10' deep. If you crank it up, you can use the same bow to deer hunt with "air" arrows. I shoot it with only two fingers instead of three and can shoot it all night long, hundreds of times. I can't tell you how smooth it is, you just have to shoot one. There's no kick, thump, nothing, just let it go and it's like nothing happened compared to other bows. They seem expensive but once you get one, you'll know why and won't want to shoot anything else. They're easier to work on as far as changing the string or something compared to a cammed compound bow but they are pretty much maintenance free. There is virtually zero let off, you can quick shoot it like a recurve bow at any draw length.

As far as arrows go, I make my own out of driveway markers and the combination provides an extremely accurate and lethal shot in the water. No splash, just a bubble trail to the fish and much cheaper than manufactured bowfishing arrows.
Btmannin
SportsmenTalk Member

Re: Stick and String Choice

Postby Btmannin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm gonna have to break down and buy one just to try it out. If I end up hating it (and by the sounds of it I wont) I can always sell it and eat a few bucks loss. Again, thanks for the info. I'll let you know what I think after i shoot it for a couple nights.
TonyGMcElroy

Re: Stick and String Choice

Postby TonyGMcElroy » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:51 pm

You mite not have to take a loss depending on what time of year you sell it if you don't like it. If you look on bowfishingcountry there are always oneidas that look like they've been in a fish bucket for a year and askin almost new price. Most of them sale fast, but that will be a good place to TRY to find a good deal on a used one.

Return to “Bow Fishing”