Bands

Talk about your great duck hunts!
ILLINImudbug
ST Siver Member

Bands

Postby ILLINImudbug » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:08 am

Lets hear about your leg bands, recent or past. Where were they banded and harvested? Pics would be cool too.
ILLINImudbug
ST Siver Member

Re: Bands

Postby ILLINImudbug » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:39 am

Shot this past December. It was banded in James Bay Ontario, Canada. on 4/23/2010. It was hatched in 2009 or earlier. It was at least 6 years old. I harvested it on the Illinois river.
Attachments
006.JPG
North LA Hunter
ST Siver Member

Postby North LA Hunter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:33 pm

I've been duck hunting for about 12 years or so and never killed a band until Sunday. Well got lucky Thanksgiving morning and killed a wood duck with a band on it. And then Friday morning I killed another banded wood duck. Never would have thought I would kill one anyway, but dang sure I wouldn't kill 3 in the first week of season!

Well here are the birds and when they were banded.

Mallard drake was banded on 9/12/13 in Dodge County, Wisconson and hatched in 2013.

Wood duck drake was banded on 8/27/15 in Cottonwood County, Minnesota and hatched in 2014 or earlier.

Wood duck hen was banded on 7/2/15 in Ouachita Parish, Louisiana and hatched in 2013 or earlier. Which was where it was killed.

Sent from my beeper
Will
ST Siver Member

Postby Will » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:29 pm

I've killed hundreds, if not thousands in my lifetime and never have gotten one with a band. I have a curse.
cheniermudder
SportsmenTalk Member

Postby cheniermudder » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Will wrote:I've killed hundreds, if not thousands in my lifetime and never have gotten one with a band. I have a curse.

I'm sharing that curse with ya !!
cheniermudder
SportsmenTalk Member

Postby cheniermudder » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:57 pm

Will wrote:I've killed hundreds, if not thousands in my lifetime and never have gotten one with a band. I have a curse.

I'm sharing that curse with ya !! We've been on this leases for 6 years and have only seen one bird with a band on it. Two years back, a guest killed a GWT.
Quackhead62
ST Siver Member

Postby Quackhead62 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:39 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457401051.515234.jpg

My banded Mottled duck from this year. She was banded in Pecan Island, La about a hour and a half from my lease. The other two I have killed were both blue wing teal from Canada. It never gets on the rush you get when your dog brings back a duck and you see that jewelry on their leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huck Finn
ST Moderator

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:42 pm

Christmas Eve morning. , cold cold. , couple years ago, 9 year old pintail drake , banded Saskatoon Saskatchewan . Pretty cool his brood mate was killed two days later within 5 miles . Harvested trinity tx .
image.jpg
front seat ride to the house .

H finn
Attachments
image.jpg
Will
ST Siver Member

Postby Will » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:55 am

My cousin in Arkansas is obtaining the gear and traps to start banding them on his property. I'm anxious to see how it works out. My luck, the first one I shoot with a band will be one he banded. :lol:
brickgw
SportsmenTalk Member

Postby brickgw » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:13 pm

My first band was in 2013, banded at grand river marsh in Wisconsin. Shot on the Illinois river.

7 days later I shot this one from the same blind, banded near westwego, Jefferson parish LA.

Aint shot one since
BlueShamu
ST Siver Member

Postby BlueShamu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:32 pm

My one and only band....took me nearly forty years of avid duck hunting to find this little guy! LOL

Hatched from Stalwart, Saskatchewan. Flew down to South LA to get shot.
ILLINImudbug
ST Siver Member

Postby ILLINImudbug » Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:01 am

Awesome pics and stories! I've been fortunate in the 40 yrs of water fowling. My first band was an Eastern Black duck, shot on Lake Erie in the late 70's when I was stationed at Toledo with the U.S. Coast Guard. It was banded in Ontario. My next 4 were shot in Winnie and Anahuac Texas....a hen pintail which was banded in Louisiana by a LSU student. He contacted me and asked me if I had recovered the radio transmitter. That would have been awesome but apparently it had fallen off. The next 3 were two snows and one blue. I've yet to bag a banded Canada goose and they rub it in every spring on the lake I live on in Illinois. I counted 7 bands on the partial ice about a month ago. Now I have a resident bull that walks with his mate outside my bedroom window with a shiny band. My buddy wonders why I haven't gone Jeff Foiles on him. :twisted:
BlueShamu
ST Siver Member

Postby BlueShamu » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:10 pm

I was working in South Philly one time, there was a flock of resident Canadians hanging out next to my hotel. One in there had two neck collars and a big shiny band....and I had my longbow as I was bowhunting after night shift.....it was tempting....but, I showed restraint. That was tough on somebody from LA! LOL
brycecheramie
SportsmenTalk Member

Postby brycecheramie » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:56 pm

I've killed many ducks and have yet to kill one with a band!
Damnit! :cry:
ILLINImudbug
ST Siver Member

Postby ILLINImudbug » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:25 am

BlueShamu wrote:I was working in South Philly one time, there was a flock of resident Canadians hanging out next to my hotel. One in there had two neck collars and a big shiny band....and I had my longbow as I was bowhunting after night shift.....it was tempting....but, I showed restraint. That was tough on somebody from LA! LOL

LOL...I hear ya Blue. I work the night shift. So this afternoon I'm sleeping when I'm awakened by geese outside my window honking their asses off. I look out the window and there he is with that shiny band. It was real tempting to grab my scoped M&P 22. Maybe later in the year when they molt I may be able to net him and slip that band off and let him go.

Seeing how your from Louisiana, here's a joke you can have fun with your Texan friends and neighbors.......What separates' a Coonass from a Jackass?.........The Sabine River :D
Just to be clear. I love Texas and Texans. All my kids are Texans.
hardhuntr
SportsmenTalk Member

Postby hardhuntr » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:20 pm

I remember a lot of good hunts over the last 30 years, but those that involved bands I seem to remember more vividly!

My first band was a Canada goose in 2001. I knocked it down as a cripple and had to chase it a quarter of a mile. It finally died in the middle of a barrow ditch. After 14 or 20 minutes, the goose finally made it into the shadows. I had no idea it was banded when I shot it of course.

My second band was in the same area as the first 2 years later. It was another cripple shot that sailed several hundred yards. My brother and I took off after it. Finally found it trying to hide in flooded corn. My brother actually retrieved it. Told me he should keep it since he had to retrieve it, and it was banded.

Same year, 2003, my brother, a good friend of ours, and I hunted together in the marsh. I was on the left, my buddy in the middle, and my brother on the right. All of us in our own layout boat. A flock of mallards start working nice and tight, while 1 lands in the decoys. The majority of the flock stays high but another drake starts to backpeddle in the dekes. My buddy says to me to go ahead and kill those two ducks. He was busy making a sardine sandwich. I shoot the first bird before it touches the water and shoot the second one as it jumps up. Both birds were banded. One from Manitoba and the other from Saskatchewan. That was 12 years ago and still have not gotten another duck band. I may have used all my luck up that morning.

I have picked up two more Canada bands but it has been a few years since the last one.
ILLINImudbug
ST Siver Member

Postby ILLINImudbug » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:14 am

hardhuntr wrote:I remember a lot of good hunts over the last 30 years, but those that involved bands I seem to remember more vividly!

My first band was a Canada goose in 2001. I knocked it down as a cripple and had to chase it a quarter of a mile. It finally died in the middle of a barrow ditch. After 14 or 20 minutes, the goose finally made it into the shadows. I had no idea it was banded when I shot it of course.

My second band was in the same area as the first 2 years later. It was another cripple shot that sailed several hundred yards. My brother and I took off after it. Finally found it trying to hide in flooded corn. My brother actually retrieved it. Told me he should keep it since he had to retrieve it, and it was banded.

Same year, 2003, my brother, a good friend of ours, and I hunted together in the marsh. I was on the left, my buddy in the middle, and my brother on the right. All of us in our own layout boat. A flock of mallards start working nice and tight, while 1 lands in the decoys. The majority of the flock stays high but another drake starts to backpeddle in the dekes. My buddy says to me to go ahead and kill those two ducks. He was busy making a sardine sandwich. I shoot the first bird before it touches the water and shoot the second one as it jumps up. Both birds were banded. One from Manitoba and the other from Saskatchewan. That was 12 years ago and still have not gotten another duck band. I may have used all my luck up that morning.

I have picked up two more Canada bands but it has been a few years since the last one.

Great stories! and I agree, the memories involving bands are more vivid.
Quack n Stack

Postby Quack n Stack » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Screenshot_2016-03-23-22-10-55.png
Been on em for 8 years now and got my first one. Back in December. Mottled duck drake shot in trinity bay and banded in high island 6 months prior the day after my birthday. It was pretty amazing. I saw it when he was just about to land and smoked him. It was strange to because by that time of year the mottled ducks are far from big water and know damn well enough to stay away from grass blobs and 100 not moving ducks... I was so excited I forgot to even cut the dog loose and nocked the boat blind over trying to get out then ran out there and picked him up and in the process of running out there like a jack ass I fell face first into the water. I was completely satisfied with the hunt though and packed it up and went home. About 45 minutes after LST.
ShaneMo

Postby ShaneMo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:07 am

Same, I've never gotten one with a band.

Return to “The Duck Hunting Forum”