Ducks

Talk about your great duck hunts!
Whodat88
ST Siver Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:53 pm
Contact:

Ducks

Postby Whodat88 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:14 pm

This is boring. We need more members.
Who is getting me in a lease next year?
North LA Hunter
ST Siver Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:56 am
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby North LA Hunter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:42 pm

Don't want to talk ducks. Still licking my wounds from this past season. It sucked horribly.


Sent from my beeper
Huck Finn
ST Moderator
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:47 pm

It was a weird year on several account, not enough cold fronts pushing new birds down , to much water locally. ( literally everywhere ) hunting pressure (read yahoos ) on public land. I hunted with buddies on their or my leases this year .

The silver lining, should be a bumper crop of birds next year .

H Finn
North LA Hunter
ST Siver Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:56 am
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby North LA Hunter » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:51 pm

Huck Finn wrote:should be a bumper crop of birds next year .

H Finn


The famous words!


Sent from my beeper
User avatar
Quackhead62
ST Siver Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:33 am
Location: Maurice, La
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby Quackhead62 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:53 pm

I agree with Huck that it was a crazy year for us in South La too. We also had way to much water all year long that spread the ducks out that we were lucky enough to have. We did get lucky and had a. nice sized body of grey ducks to hang around the area mixing in with so teal. But it was a very much a sub par year epically in the second split. Hopefully next season we actually get a winter to bring the ducks down


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huck Finn
ST Moderator
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:56 am
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby Huck Finn » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:00 pm

I'm used to 200-300 birds a year with this crew I hunt with , I shot a quarter of that . Oh well . I'm ready to do some spring seed planting . I recommend guides choice by the biologic guys or Riverrefugeseed.com , the number2 seed mix works well for this part of Texas . Looking for some lower water levels . Any body else plant millet or smartweed. , sorghum for ducks .

H Finn
User avatar
krazo
SportsmenTalk Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby krazo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:29 pm

.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Whodat88
ST Siver Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby Whodat88 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:24 pm

I quit hardcore duck hunting about 10 years ago to focus on deer hunting. I hunt the shit out of teal season and then hunt ducks from Jan 1st until it closes on public land. With my newborn being so young, it is hard for me to commit to a trip to my deer lease in Mississippi. I am going to find me a duck lease close by that I can hunt hard and make it back home that evening to be with my kids.
User avatar
CJB
SportsmenTalk Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:53 am
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby CJB » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:28 pm

Whodat88 wrote:I quit hardcore duck hunting about 10 years ago to focus on deer hunting. I hunt the shit out of teal season and then hunt ducks from Jan 1st until it closes on public land. With my newborn being so young, it is hard for me to commit to a trip to my deer lease in Mississippi. I am going to find me a duck lease close by that I can hunt hard and make it back home that evening to be with my kids.



"Close by" will still be a decent hike for you my friend lol...but yea definitely be able to be home in the afternoons. You still plan to hunt in Natchez or you getting out?
Whodat88
ST Siver Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby Whodat88 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 12:56 pm

CJB wrote:
Whodat88 wrote:I quit hardcore duck hunting about 10 years ago to focus on deer hunting. I hunt the shit out of teal season and then hunt ducks from Jan 1st until it closes on public land. With my newborn being so young, it is hard for me to commit to a trip to my deer lease in Mississippi. I am going to find me a duck lease close by that I can hunt hard and make it back home that evening to be with my kids.



"Close by" will still be a decent hike for you my friend lol...but yea definitely be able to be home in the afternoons. You still plan to hunt in Natchez or you getting out?

I'm getting out. I don't care if it is an hour drive and an hour boat ride it is still better for me than Natchez. Deer hunting you need to plan and hunt for days to be successful with trophy bucks. Duck hunting is different kind of challenge but one that allows me time with the kids.
North LA Hunter
ST Siver Member
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:56 am
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby North LA Hunter » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:25 pm

Ive thought about getting in a blind but I don't like hunting the same hole 3 times in a row, much less all year!

But I'm getting pretty tired of chasing them.


Sent from my beeper
jakehawk9
SportsmenTalk Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:04 pm
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby jakehawk9 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:29 pm

I shot about 200-300 or so this year, including the birds that were shot by others I was with. Personally probably about 75-80. But I still felt it was a slow year. Next year I'll keep a bird count

It's simple. get a mud motor. shoot ducks in the face.
User avatar
hardhuntr
SportsmenTalk Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:09 pm
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby hardhuntr » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:55 pm

Every year is different that's for sure. Been doing this for over 30 years. I hope to be hunting ducks for another 30 years.
User avatar
Hernaja
ST Siver Member
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:23 am
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby Hernaja » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:31 pm

Only 300 birds were shot out of the blind I subleased out this year. lol picked a good year not to hunt .
Whodat88
ST Siver Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:53 pm
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby Whodat88 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:37 am

I made 5 big duck hunts and limited out 4 of those times but it is all divers. I want dabblers
Quack n Stack
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:36 am
Contact:

Re: Ducks

Postby Quack n Stack » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:29 pm

North LA Hunter wrote:Ive thought about getting in a blind but I don't like hunting the same hole 3 times in a row, much less all year!

But I'm getting pretty tired of chasing them.


Sent from my beeper

I used to park the boat and walk hundreds of yards into pockets in accessible by boat with 5--6 dozen decoys bundles of brush gear and all. Made for a miserable morning. I'm not that mad at em anymore, i Built me a boat blind for last season and literaly parked on the edge of the bay in the exact same spot every weekend and had a better season in this marsh than I've ever had. All while i sat in the boat and cooked beacon abd eggs while i shot ducks. Never a lot in one hunt (best one was 11) but I consistently killed 5-6 every time. If I would a moved 2-300 yards I probably could have killed a lot more but there was about a 8" difference in mud depth between the two spots..I'm not that mad at em. Huntin easy is huntin nice, who said it had to be hard if you enjoy just being out?

Return to “The Duck Hunting Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests